Wednesday, August 10, 2011

An Amazing End to the Summer

Not gonna lie.  This was the most exhausting summer of my life.  But God was SO gracious.  Most weeks as I work with a visiting team of youth, try to continue pouring into the youth group I lead, and coordinate communication with families and transportation to our kids programs, I find the work to be rewarding but exhausting.  But this summer I had something to look forward to through all the insanity: my brother was coming. :) 

And not only my brother Tyler, but the youth group he leads!  And a good family friend I had not seen for years!  And a phenomenal youth team from Brainerd, returning for their 4th time!  And, as the icing on the cake, God surprised us all by leading my sister, JaNae, to NOT go on a road trip to Colorado, but to stay for the week and join us for our sports camp.
JaNae (left) and other beloved young ladies.

One of the groups at our sports camp. I wonder what's so interesting about Tyler's forehead...
Wow.  God gives good gifts to his children.  Instead of being exhausted in this 6th week of being insanely busy, I had energy and joy, because I was literally surrounded by people I know and love.

Let me share a little tidbit that was especially cool to me: There were a few girls in Tyler's youth group who I have known since 2004.  That was the summer that I first got out of my comfort zone to be a camp counselor.  There were a couple of 3rd graders in my cabin that I thought were especially cute, and I'm sure I prayed for them a lot back then.  I loved counseling, and I returned the next summer, and there were those cute little girls again.  In fact, I had them in my cabin for four years.  Since then, four more years have passed, and now they are high schoolers.  It was such a joy to see them at the age I was when I first met them and to know that I had an impact on them back then that is helping them to step out now and minister to others.


On Friday, we had a brief visit with the Roseau youth group as they were returning from their own mission trip in St. Paul.  I noticed that among them was a girl I had in Vacation Bible School when I was in 8th grade (my first time volunteering with VBS) and she was in 2nd.  Again, how fun to see what God has brought about since then!

 Props to all you camp counselors and children's ministry workers.  God is using you in ways you may never know.  But I hope He gives you a glimpse of the fruit of the labors, as He did for me.







No comments:

Post a Comment