Friday, January 7, 2011

Abolishing Loneliness

I had a pretty fabulous Christmas break.  It wasn’t what I had planned: I didn’t get to read any books, spend hours playing piano, or get alone with God much more than usual.  Not a lot of introvert time.  But I did get to see a lot of people—a lot of people I love!  There was excessive food, much Dutch Blitz, jr. highers with New Year’s noisemakers, meeting new babies, and catching up with old friends.  I invented a new board game, heard my brother preach, taught a baby new words, and made ice windows for a snow house. 

I counted, and there were at least 9 parties/get-togethers with friends or relatives.  Though the introvert in me didn’t get some of that alone time, it’s wonderful to realize how many friends God has blessed me with.  The people I was with were not just fair-weather friends.  They are the people who pray for me, who keep in touch, who I can still connect with on a deep level.  I’m blown away with how many people care for me, laugh with me, encourage me, teach me and reprove me.  I don’t have a shortage of people that I can share my deepest struggles, frustrations, passions, and aspirations.  What a difference this makes in the struggles of daily life!

When I look at my life and then look at the lives of the students I work with, there is an astounding contrast between my social support system and theirs.  Some of them spend their lives on facebook, “connected” to  “friends,” but incredibly lonely.  Some, without the luxury of the internet, have the TV as their closest companion.  There are others who are surrounded by people, but there is no love binding the people together.  There is no intimacy.  They are looking for love wherever they can get it.

Loneliness.

It’s not just a problem of inner-city teenagers.  It’s a problem faced by the bulk of humanity.  We all have a God-given longing for belonging and intimacy, but sin holds us back from those deep connections with God and others.

I think one reason that many kids count Living Hope as the highlight of their week is that here they receive that love they’ve been looking for.  They feel a sense of belonging, and they develop meaningful relationships with both peers and adult mentors.  And most importantly, they discover the most meaningful and intimate relationship possible: oneness with the Triune God.

This is an especially lonely time for a lot of people.  In Minnesota winters, people don’t go out as much.  Here at Living Hope, we don’t resume our weekly programs until January 18.  Please pray for the kids at Living Hope who are desperate for love—that rather than seeking it in an unhealthy relationship, a gang, or a computer screen, they will find it in the Body of Christ.  Pray that more believers will move into this community so that they can really

One of our board members here at LHM has said that if the church would live out their calling of living in meaningful relationships with each other, a lot of counselors would be put out of business. 

But this takes intentionality.  It takes proximity and involvement in each other’s lives.  It takes consistency and commitment.  It takes dying to self.

How would life change if we lived out the “one another” commands of the New Testament?  Let’s find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment