Kids love to hang out in the public parks in Northeast Minneapolis, making it a great place to meet kids and parents, develop relationships, and get them plugged in to ministry programs. However, sometimes it is challenging to develop relationships because just going up to a kid you don't know is not only intimidating for them; it also might make their parents pretty nervous.
One great way of meeting new kids is through relationships already established. Almost every time I go to the parks close to Living Hope, I see someone I know--often allowing me to meet their friends and get a little more into their world. But on Friday I discovered another way to meet new kids and share Truth with them.
Emily and I went to Jackson Park on Friday night, and we decided to sing worship songs as I played my guitar. After a few songs, our little friend Camron (8) found us, and I asked if he wanted to try strumming the guitar. He did, and he really enjoyed it. Soon other kids started coming up, wanting to try. Over the course of an hour, about 15-20 kids tried playing my guitar--kids of many different ages and cultures. Some of the kids were Somali Muslims, and their mom was watching with a smile as they had their first experience playing a guitar.
After a while, they wanted to hear some songs. I played the chords with my left hand while kids took turns trying their hand at strumming. I was trying to think of some fun kid songs, but they saw my song sheet and wanted me to play some of those songs. Open the Eyes of My Heart? God of Wonders? Sounds good to me!! As we sang these songs, I asked the kids if they knew what the songs were about. Through this, I had the opportunity to share about God as Creator and about Jesus His Son. The kids spouted out what they knew about Jesus, one saying "He died on a cross." I told her, "Yes, but did you know that He rose from the dead, and He's alive?" She hadn't heard that part before.
Please pray that we will get many more opportunities to see these kids and develop relationships with them where Truth can be spoken and love can be shared.
It is exciting and encouraging to hear your stories. :-) It reminds me of the kind of God we serve!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad! He is amazing, isn't he?
ReplyDeleteI'm also curious....who are you?
Alyssa, that is wonderful!
ReplyDelete